Accessing Your Medical Records

Formal requests to view of request copies of your medication records under the Data Protection Act
Under the Data Protection Act 1998, you have a legal right to apply for access to health information held about you. This includes your NHS or private health records held by a GP, optician or dentist, or by a hospital.

A health record contains information about your mental and physical health recorded by a healthcare professional as part of your care.

If you want to see your health records, you don't have to give a reason.

Applying for access to your health records
Depending on which health records you want to see, submit your request using the application form below and send to Firs House Surgery.This is known as a Subject Access Request (SAR).

It's a good idea to state the dates of the records when you apply.

The Deputy Practice Manager will decide whether your request can be approved. Your GP can refuse your request if, for example, they believe that releasing the information may cause serious harm to your physical or mental health or that of another person.

We are legally obliged to provide this information within one calendar month unless there are mitigating circumstances.   

There will be no standard charges for SAR requests following implementation of GDPR, however, charge may apply in exceptional circumstances, e.g.there may be charges for access requests from third parties, such as insurance companies or solicitors.

Access to Medical Records Form for Patient

Access to Medical Record Request form for a Patients Representative

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website